Monday, May 21, 2012

NIce Wallet You Have There...

I love feel-good stories.  They make me feel so... good.  Yes,  and stories that reveal the decency in people make me feel especially good.  They uplift me, help me get up in the morning (that, and too many liquids) .  For example, there's the warm and fuzzy story about a lost wallet that was returned after some 35 years.  35 years!  Can you believe that?  "I do believe that, I believe I do."  Simply put, there are good people out there, and they're doing good things... Now, if my math is correct (good luck on that one),  35 years takes us back to around 1976,  during our country's Bicentennial.  "Bison what?"  You know, lots of red-white-and-blue, a bunch of fireworks and parades (I wasn't around, but I watch a lot of History Channel). Anyway, getting back to the stray wallet, I know I'd return a lost wallet if I stumbled upon one.  Yes, I'm pretty sure... "Why doesn't anyone believe me?! If I found a wallet, I'd return it, I swear!"  I mean, returning a lost wallet is the right thing to do (no, I'm not trying to convince myself!).  It makes for a very nice story that warms the heart, I think.  Unfortunately, some people out there (not me!) are so cynical, so jaded.  Critics say that before we give too much credit to Mr. Goody-Two-Shoes who returned the wallet, tough questions should be asked.  Like, this guy, did he prefer to keep the wallet for himself all this time, until he wore it out?  Did he borrow money found in the wallet for an extended period of time?  If so, he should've included accrued interest, no?  All very good points if you ask me, uh... those harsh critics.  When all is said and done -- "I'm done!" -- when you actually take everything into consideration, the lesson learned from this story is to not pick up other people's wallets... "Don't touch -- leave it alone!"  It's too much work.  Too many questions will be asked of you, too much scrutiny... You just hope the rightful owners of lost wallets are appreciative upon their return, no matter how long it takes.  Yeah, you hope... "Hey, my baby picture's missing!  It was right next to these credit cards!  You stole my baby picture! -- Police!"  Oh boy...

No comments:

Post a Comment