Monday, July 23, 2012

Don't Blow It, Kid!

We're paying for music lessons.  "Oh, you're a singer?"  Only in the shower.  Actually,  I'm talking about trumpet lessons.  "Cool.  We always knew you were talented at something."  Uh, the lessons are for our younger son, a boy.  "Oh, that's nice, too..."  Yes, and the lessons are for good reason: the kid's got a lot of hot air in him.  "That's wonderful!"  His mother and I couldn't agree more.  We put our heads together (not literally)  and decided it was a good idea to steer our boy toward music.  "Good... that's a good idea..."  Not because he's my kid, but he displays an uncanny ability when it comes to the trumpet.  I mean, you should see how good he is at putting the instrument back in its case at record speeds.   "Sounds like you have a protegé on your hands."  Oh, I wouldn't go that far... Though I do expect him to headline a concert someday.  But no pressure.  In the meantime, some have suggested that our Trumpet Boy get in a little practice time at freeway exits, maybe pick up a few bucks along the way...  "It sure would help for college."  That's what I say, right?  It's never too soon to start saving.   Yes, I really  think our son has the talent to go a long way -- as long as he applies all that air in an appropriate, socially acceptable manner.  Now, let's not fool ourselves.  There are some inherent risks that come with trumpet playing -- like puffy cheeks that resemble a chipmunk's.  "You don't want that for your son, do you?"  No worries.  I figure he could always audition for the Mexican version of  The Godfather, right?  "Don Corleone, how would you like your quesadillas?"  I tell ya, my son's grandparents will be so proud.  He'll be a one-boy mariachi band.  "Play us 'La Cucaracha!'"  And just to clarify, this is not a replay of when I was a kid.  Back in the day, my dad 'encouraged' me to play my guitar for every friend and relative that set foot in our house... "Play something -- or else!"  No siree, no way will I subject my kid to such awkward moments.  No way...  I want to ease him into the world of music, to make him feel comfortable with his God-given gift...  Don't believe me?  Then why else would I be trying to convince his brother and sister to play the tuba and trombone, respectively... "Not in a million years, Pops."  It doesn't hurt to ask...

No comments:

Post a Comment