Saturday, April 13, 2013

Off days can be so overrated...

I love following the Dodgers and Lakers.  "So sorry to hear that..."  It's been a real love affair, ever since I can remember.  "You weren't hugged much as a kid, were you?"  Day after day, year after year, I've followed my beloved teams up close and personally...  "They've led you down dark, dreary roads, haven't they?"  I wouldn't say that.  There's been a lot of highs.  "And plenty of lows..."  I prefer to focus on the positives...  "And yet you're a Dodger fan. That must be hard..."  I can't help it, I love them.  Always will.  "Maybe we shouldn't mention that the Boys in Blue haven't won the whole enchilada since 1988..."  It's alright, it's nothing to be embarrassed about... "Yes it is..."  I'll stick by my teams in good times and bad.  "Wow, sounds like you love them more than your own wife and kids..."  I didn't say that.  "You might as well..."  How could you compare sports teams to my family?!  "You'd trade your kids for another World Series any day of the week..."  No!!!  "That didn't sound very convincing."  Look, you're gonna get me in trouble, so  please stop!  "You're so easy to read..."  Look, I'm gonna end up in the doghouse.  I don't like the doghouse.  It's cold.  It's got a really small bed -- and no flatscreen TV.  "Bow Wow!"  Hey, I was just making small talk when I said that I love the Dodgers and Lakers.  "You repeat yourself a lot.  Are you hiding something?"  Okay, I'll admit it, I love my teams so much, sometimes it hurts.  It hurts really bad.  "You should get that checked."  It's so painful, sometimes it's nice to have an off-day from sports, you know?   To get away from it all.  "Go on..."  That way, I don't have to face the prospects of a heart-wrenching loss, another sleepless night...  "And yet you snore -- according to some very reliable sources."  I don't know how my alleged snoring became part of this conversation.  "You'll have to ask the Missus, uh, my sources."  Yeah, now that I think about it, off-days in sports are pretty liberating for us fans.  "Speak for yourself."  Yeah, non-game days allow me to focus on other things -- like my family, my career...  "That's good, if you're into that sort of thing...  That's good, no?  I'm a more well-rounded person that way... "You realize you're not much of a sports fan.  You're not consumed by sports."  Gee, you think so?  No one's ever said that about me before...  "Heck, if you really loved sports, you'd find a favorite NHL hockey team.  Soccer, too."  You know something, you're right.  I'm gonna  follow sports more closely -- and I can't wait to tell my wife!  

No comments:

Post a Comment