Monday, September 30, 2013

Where have those hands been?

I'm so proud of myself... "Somebody has to be..."  The other day, I did something incredibly wonderful for my son... "We'll be the judge of that..."  Yes, I reattached a hand.  "Oh god, poor kid!  What happened?  Did an alligator grab hold of him?  A crocodile?! -- how do you tell the two apart?"  Relax, it was nothing like that...  "I didn't know you were a surgeon.  Did you take online courses?  Do you ever gag in the operating room?"  Well, no, actually, I --  "You think you could do some slicing and dicing, take a few inches off my waist?"  Just to clarify, I reattached a bobblehead's hand.  Not my my kid's...  "A what?"  You know, those collectible figures with big heads that bobble back and forth...  "Are you sure you're not talking about Hollywood celebrities at a sobriety checkpoint?"   The bobblehead's hand broke off one day, so I used a type of super, super glue and it worked...  I should know -- that little hand got stuck to my hand!  For awhile there, I had an extra digit... I pulled and tugged and nothing happened.  I was convinced I'd have to have it surgically removed... "The bobblehead's hand, you mean..."  Yes.  Anyway, my son was so proud of me when I fixed the bobblehead -- it was all worth it.  I've never seen him so happy... "I have -- whenever you're not home."  This all reminds me of when I worked on model cars and airplanes as a kid.  Admittedly, I'd get upset trying to hold the tiny parts with my fingers...  "Did you ever consider tweezers?"  And I always ended up with all these extra parts that I didn't know what to do with...  "I'm glad you're not my surgeon -- you have anger issues."  I wasn't very patient as a kid, as you can tell... "Oh, there's a lot I can tell, believe me..."  Can we talk more about this later?  I find it therapeutic to talk about my childhood hobbies...  "Uh, much later."  Great.  How about tomorrow, right around this time...  "Oooh, I can't wait -- actually, I can, for a very long time..."  So what are you saying?  "Don't call me, I'll call you..."

No comments:

Post a Comment